Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Vizcaya

The first time I visited Vizcaya was 1978. I was young, it was old, I was not impressed. As time went by, I grew up, learned to appreciate things older than myself, and Vizcaya was slowly transformed. Now under air and fully renovated, it's a site to behold.

The house was completed in 1916 by James Deering. I have visited several times over the last 30 years and was always impressed that it was built from the coral rock it sits on. Looking back at the time it was constructed, and considering South Florida was pretty much wilderness, I am now completely amazed. The gardens took a beating during our last major hurricane but they are restored as well.



Vizcaya is an easy drive as Miami driving goes. The best time to go is when they run the free Sunday specials. Otherwise it's $15.00. Be sure and bring the camera. To make a day of it, the Miami Science Museum is right next door.

No comments:

Post a Comment