Saturday, January 7, 2012

Stuart by the River

 Downtown Stuart is one of the most pleasant downtowns to visit in all of South Florida. I spent a lot of time there this holiday season. Mostly because my family lives in the area but partly because there is very little else that interests me in Stuart and Palm City. Mostly houses, gated communities, and big box stores, there are not a lot of entertainment choices.

Downtown Stuart is like a little cultural oasis. There are plenty of shops where normal people may actually want to buy something and food of every description. It would be impossible to visit and not come away with a fine meal and maybe some art, jewelry, or a trinket or two.

When I was there last weekend, I found a little boardwalk along the river and decided to follow it. I remember the hurricane a few years ago put a hurting on the docks and boardwalk and I was very pleased to find it was even better than before. I kept walking all the way to Roosevelt Bridge. I was happy Mom and Dad were in a walking mood which gave me the opportunity for some exploring.

Most people driving around Stuart only see the top side of the bridge from US1. It does not look like too many people venture underneath on any given day.  A few walkers and some folks fishing. The rest are missing out on a concrete and steel wonder.

One of the things that amazes me like nothing else living in South Florida is the rate of change. A hundred years ago almost exactly, this entire area was accessible only by boat. Then came the famous Henry Flagler and his railroad. His achievements have been referenced several times in this blog and here once again I found a bit of his legacy. The railroad bridge may look like it's 100 years old but trains still pass over it.



At the base of the bridge we found the Pelican Cafe. Certainly far from my first choice of eateries with so much to pick from downtown but something caught my eye. A beach. That's right, all those little picnic tables are sitting on white beach sand. Even though Mom and Dad have lived here for many years, they never took the chance. They were a little hesitant at first but having lunch at the mini beach turned out to be a good bet. The food was great and you just could not beat the view. There is a deck around the corner, also on the water, just in case sand in your shoes is not part of your plan for the day. 

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great little city. I've never heard of it, but think I would like its quiet charm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tex - I think you would love it there after your travels in Europe. Some nice outdoor seating around and very tropical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of people PLAN for sand in their shoes??!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS (Whoops! hit enter too soon ...) Maybe the same kind that think giant knitting needles are a great idea??!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Red - In South Florida you never have a day without sand in your shoes if you are doing it right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family lives in Michigan but my dad lived in Stuart for years. We never visited him there until his passing a few years ago and had his celebration of life at Flagler park which is right next to the Pelican Cafe. We have since visited Stuart on a regular basis and eat at the Pelican Cafe every time. Love the food and the atmOsphere. The wait staff is great. We are actually thinking about moving to Stuart. Who knows we may just become Friday regulars. Keep up the great w

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Jim - My parents live close by but don't go downtown much unless I come for a random visit. I take them to a new place every time. It was crowded this particular day and I spotted this place when I was looking for a parking space. Turned out to be a great little find and you can't beat the wide open views.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Traveling north on US1/A1A it starts getting to be really beautiful once you go past Donald Ross Road in Palm Beach Gardens. The further north you go the nicer it gets. Once you get to around the Stuart area you just don't want to leave Florida. I would love to retire here one day.

    ReplyDelete