Monday, July 11, 2011

Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens - Delray


Living in South Florida can be taxing indeed. Generally speaking, it's one continuous city from West Palm Beach to South Miami. One notable exception is Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens. The Morikami is a beautiful oasis in the middle of the concrete world we have created here. I've visited on several occasions and the moment I enter the gardens, I feel transported. They are completely unlike anything else in the area. They have the appearance of a Japanese traditional garden laid across a Florida landscape and blended perfectly together. I have gone in the past with the only purpose - to sit, relax, and just be for a while. They also have on the property a museum with changing exhibits and permanent displays as well as a restaurant with the best Bento Box in South Florida. If you check the link above, you will see the Morikami has several festivals during the year. My personal favorite is the Bon Festival. At sunset, they set free paper lanterns on the lake making for an incredible display. This year the festival is on August 13th and I highly recommend it. I went a year or two ago and ran into a little rain situation. The friends I went with voted to leave early so I missed the launching of the lanterns. I plan on going this year and taking my own car if need be. Fushu Daiko will be giving a Taiko Drum performance throughout the day as well. I have seen them at several venues including the Florida Renaissance Festival and the Broward Center for the Performing Arts. If you plan to go, you may want to buy your tickets online ahead of time. Besides the discount, you will avoid the long lines at entrance. 
  

8 comments:

  1. Haven't been there in years, maybe we'll have to go see that drum festival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the drummers so much at the Ren Fest I went to see their show at the Broward Center. A whole different experience indoors in the third row. One of the guys broke a drumstick the size of a rolling pin. It takes a lot of effort to pound a drum the size of a two bedroom house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is 'a little rain situation' what you Floridians refer to as a massive deluge??

    The festival sounds like fun - look forward to hearing how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Red Nomad OZ - I think you have the whole Florida summer shower thing figured out. If it rains for a full day, roofs start flying off houses. Our little sun showers typically involve lightning and tropical force winds but just for a short while. Soon after the sun pops out like nothing ever happened and brightly illuminates the damage for the six o'clock news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings SFlaGuy! Thanks for stopping by our Florida Fotos blog. Sounds like you enjoyed the Herlong mansion in Micanopy. We've not stayed there, but I've heard it is a nice place.

    Prior to moving to Ocala we lived for 20 plus years in the Pines, Ft. Lauderdale/Davie/Plantation area. I do believe Lois Anne once visited these gardens in Delray...a gorgeous place.

    We've been out-of-pocket, but I'll be back posting now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Jacob - Thanks for writing. I'll be here another 4 years or so and want to do it all before I head elsewhere. Looking forward to more postings from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful images - I definitely wouldn't mind living near scenery like that! I hope you catch the festival this year, it sounds like an amazing sight to see :) -Sara

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Sara - South Florida is mostly fully built out and concreted over. It takes a little effort to find the beautiful places but it's an effort I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete