Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Art Basel - Miami

My favorite South Florida event even at the $36.00 admission. This will be year nine for Art Basel Miami. I have been fortunate to attend almost every year. Art Basel is no ordinary art show. It's more like a total assault on the senses disguised as a world class event. No one minds that I can't afford much more than the entrance fee while they plunk down $3.2 million bucks to buy a statue. Yes, that actually happened one year right in front of me. What can you expect? The show is huge. It fills the Miami Beach Convention Center without an inch to spare. Some pieces and installations will shock, amaze, bring tears, stir emotions, and challenge your reality. It's a guarantee most pieces will invoke an emotional response. Some are such utter garbage they redefine insanity. No matter what, every single item can invoke endless conversation. This is art in it's purest form so if you are not ready to have your understanding of the universe challenged, best to stay home. Every year I find something that completely blows me away. So much so that I can't wait to go back.

Art Basel will take a full day to enjoy so plan on a nice lunch or dinner on Lincoln Rd. Make a day at the art show a complete event. Art lovers travel from all over the world for this show. I just have to hop in the car to be part of it.

3 comments:

  1. Figured you'd be going again, your favorite show. I'm just going to browse the online catalog you linked to & save myself the money this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's only 4 hours in the middle of the day, I thought it started at noon, but it's 1-5 pm, so if you're doing Art Basel on sat, you might not make it.

    ReplyDelete